Sunday 2 June 2013

A Tawny Owl hooting

3rd February 2013
The stars were out when I went to bed last night but were nowhere to be seen this morning. It was cold too: minus one and a chilly breeze.
There was a Tawny Owl hooting over at Dean Park as I left Hadlow. I thought that I would do last week's walk in reverse, so I headed for Clearhedges Wood.
There was a large Silver Birch down across the path. It was half-dead and the wind finished it off, I suppose. It was a struggle getting through the branches! The mornings are getting lighter; I turned off my lamp in the wood. It was easier walking: the frost had firmed up the mud and put a frozen crust on top. The water level had dropped too.
There was no-one at St Giles' church in Shipbourne except a Green Woodpecker laughing at me as I went through the churchyard. A cock was crowing at the farmyard at Ightham Mote and I went through and up to Scathes Wood for my first break. Bluebells and Lords and Ladies are just emerging.
I had breakfast on the bench overlooking the valley. I knocked my flask of soup over and lost half of it! I was glad of my hot chicken soup, as there was a cold wind blowing up there on the hill. My crusty bread made up for it. There is a lovely old twisted Chestnut tree here.
I went on to Yopps Green and Plaxtol, then down to the river. The orchards were quiet. The long climb to Gover Hill is a killer! I stopped here for my second break. I didn't sit at the viewpoint, as it was exposed and a strong wind was blowing, so I moved back into the wood and found a sheltered spot for coffee.
I went on down to Oxen Hoath. There were hundreds of Fieldfare on the ground and in the trees in the parkland. No wonder the orchards were quiet. There must be some sort of food there. I said 'hello' to a pair of Greylag Geese and went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment