Sunday 2 June 2013

Plenty of rain

27 January 2013
It's great weather for ducks! It rained all night and was still raining as I left at 6.30am. I could hear the ducks over at the river. The ground is completely sodden; if the water can't run off, it lays in great lakes. There were some fresh mole hills at the top of Oxen Hoath. It must be pretty damp down there!
As I entered Hurst Wood, the rain stopped but there was still a strong wind - that was OK, I needed to dry the backs of my legs. The cloud was quite low as there was an orange glow on them from the road lamps at Tonbridge.
There were still small clumps of snow in sheltered spots on Greensand Ridge and water was laying over ice on the Wealdway track. That was a surprise!
In the wood, I turned left down an ancient track and past Old Soar Manor. Then over the Bourne (full to overflowing) and up the hill to Plaxtol and Yopps Green. At Yopps Green, I went west into Scathes Wood up on the Ridge. I found a bench cut out of a tree and facing south across the valley and Ightham Mote. Leek and potato soup, coffee and home-made bread for breakfast. Bliss!
I went from here, past the Mote, through Shipbourne and Dene Park Woods. There were gun shots over at Budds - a big shoot on from Fairlawne I suppose.
I had another break in Dene Park. I sat against a young oak with the Sun on my good looks. Someone let off both barrels in the field in front of me and I nearly dropped my coffee! The leaves are budding and the catkins are out. There was a Sky Lark singing in the field out of Clearhedges! Very mild this morning - I got quite warm!
The purgatory has ended.                                                                                                                            I stand in my boots and weep                                                                                                                With relief and gratitude,                                                                                                                           To see the hue of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment