Monday 3 June 2013

Worth the wait

19th May 2013

Mr Robin and Mr Blackbird woke me from an exiting dream this morning, singing a duet. Robin was melodious but Blackbird sounded depressed.

It was overcast as I stepped out into the cool Easterly wind and I walked south toward Golden Green and the River Medway. At Goldhill Mill, the Crayfish beds have been dug out and replaced with a large lake and a couple of islands. Although the water's edge and the islands were bare, there were Greylag Geese, Coots and all sorts there.

Mr Blackbird spoke at Golden Green. He said, 'good morning, how are you?' Then again, 'good morning, how are you?' I said, 'very well, thank you', and went on my way. There were two Goldfinches on the hedge. I said how pretty they were (I'm seeing a lot of Goldfinches this year).

Down at the river, Sir Herne was being mobbed by Crows as he went toward the lock. He looked most unhappy as he tried to shake them off..

The river was flowing gently and as I turned west, the clouds parted and the Sun shone on my back. The bird song was deafening along the river and a Cuckoo called. There was plenty of Scullcap on the riverbank. At Eldridge's Lock, a fat Grey Wagtail chick (bright yellow underneath) was wagging his stubby tail as mum and dad were flying aerial acrobatics, catching insects to stuff down his throat. He was very hungry!

Tonbridge Castle was again playing host to the annual 100 mile cycling event in aid of charity. Dee was at the refreshment tent and plied me with free coffee and a biscuit and then sent me on my way.

Climbing out of Tonbridge, on the path to Hilden Brook, there were fat Spanish Bluebells on a bank. Escapees from gardens I suppose. They are not as pretty as our delicate variety. I had breakfast by the Hilden Brook amongst White Dead Nettle and Jack-by-the-Hedge with my back against a Hazel.

The bridle path from Coldharbour was bordered with trees, Bluebells, Red Campion, Herb-Robert and Golden Saxifrage; the very time to take this path.

My second break was in Dean Park Wood, and properly taken in the shade, as it was getting very warm in the Sun. The woodland floor was now deep blue.

Spring may have been late, but well worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment