Sunday 2 June 2013

Pegasus

10th February 2013
I was hoping to see Pegasus leap over the Sun this morning - no chance! It was raining when I left to pick up Diana at 6.30am and it continued to rain.
We drove to Bedgebury. On the way, a Fallow stag ran across the road as we approached Horsmonden. He had very large antlers! We parked at Bedgebury Cross. From there we walked to the Great Lake. There was a large flock of Barnacle Geese on the lake.
From the lake, we went up the hill, through sheep with new born lambs into Bedgebury Forest. Di's dog Maisie disappeared when let of the lead. This annoyed Dee a little! It took an age to call her back. Oh dear. Maisie went back on the lead for a while, as punishment!
The ground was back to extreme mud. It was quite cold too - but as the going was heavy, we warmed up pretty quick. On the way to Louisa Lake, Maisie caught and killed a rabbit! Di was really cross now and the little dog was in terrible trouble! Her nose was pointed at and she was called 'very bad'. Maisie looked pleased with herself! Di asked if I wanted the rabbit but it would mean that I would have to carry it in my bag. I had nothing to put it in, so we left it there for scavengers.
We passed Louisa Lake (they've done some work here - cut down trees and widened the path. It's not so dodgy by the water's edge), and tried to find somewhere out of the weather for breakfast. We found a Holly tree which was relatively dry under the spiky leaves, by the cycle track. I had my chicken soup & bread and Dee had her banana and nuts! As we enjoyed our break, a couple of chaps on cycles shouted 'that's a good idea'!
After breakfast and coffee, we carried on up the hill for an hour or so to the Pinetum Centre for another quick coffee in the building where we warmed up. In walked the same chaps who greeted us in the forest. They were mates of Dee; she went to school with them. Big chin-wag!
Refreshed, we went on into the forest, back to the Great Lake where we saw a pair of Buzzards on the ground feeding. They were chased off by a Crow. I think that they may be the same pair which I see over at Hurst Wood. I hope so, as I thought that they had been killed by gamekeepers. Dee said that there was a spare rabbit over in the forest if they wanted it! There were also Crested Grebes on the lake, diving and popping up in unexpected places.
Back to the car, we got changed and I dropped Dee and Maisie back at Pixot Hill, Brenchley. It was a very hard walk in the mud, but I felt all aglow afterward.

I perceive a loss of the connection
Between me and the ages past.
Comfort and expediency is surreptitiously
Displacing my congenital being.

No comments:

Post a Comment