Saturday 1 June 2013

Walk forever!

16th December 2012
There was no Moon this morning when I left home. Just a few stars, when the clouds let them be seen. The Robins and Blackbirds were singing in the gardens but all was quiet when I left the village (even the Fieldfare!) and my way lit by my head-torch. If all else fails, there are the red lights of the aerial mast at Wrotham, which is due north!
The star Vega was very bright in the north east. Venus peeped through as I entered the woods at Gover Hill. There was no sign of the Sun or Mercury, they were behind the clouds.
Very large puddles of water and mud had to be negotiated after the rain last night.
The cock was crowing again, joined by another in competition which was deafening as I walked toward Crouch. And the blackbirds awoke. The night was gone now. It was around freezing when I left, but as I climbed to Hurst Wood, the temperature rose to 4 or 5 degrees.
Just a quick break at Doris's bench, because I wanted to have breakfast at Ightham Mote, when hopefully, the Sun would show itself.
Dropping down to Basted Mill, it was much cooler and the thermometer was at zero along the Bourne in the valley. I startled Sir Herne again by the river. I said sorry! The ground was firmer here as it was so cold. The river was murky from the recent rain.
Then I went through the orchards to Yopps Green and over the hill to Ightham Mote.
Breakfast of Pumpkin soup (of course!) in the sun. Mr Blackbird asked for some breadcrumbs and I gave him some.
It was much warmer as I left the Mote. I went back via Shipbourne, through the church-yard, across the green and into Dene Park Wood. Then into Clearhedges Wood, where I took off a layer and then home. It was one of those days when I felt I could keep walking! I hope I feel like this when I walk to Coldrum Longbarrow on Friday morning to see the Sun rise!

No comments:

Post a Comment