Saturday 1 June 2013

Winter Solstice!

21st December 2012
My destination this morning was Coldrum Longbarrow, to see the Sun rise on this special day of the Winter Solstice. Sun-rise would be at 8am.
An early start: 3:45am. The stars were out, with only light cloud. The Moon had gone to bed early, so it was very dark. Orion stood in the south west with Betelgeuse on his right shoulder, and his belt pulled tight. A sentinel to stop the weather ruining my walk, I hoped.
It was pitch black going into the wood at Gover Hill, and slightly misty, the light reflecting back at me. The lichen on the tree boles was sparkling brightest silver in my lamp light. The ground even wetter than last week, if that is possible, and hard going.
I thought that the cock at the stables near Crouch would be silent at this time - but no! He was calling just as loudly. When does he rest, I wondered?
From Crouch, I checked the map regularly, so as not to get lost. All was quiet, except the gradually increasing traffic noise of the motorways 6km ahead. Through Platt Wood, then the wood at Gallows Hill (pleasant name!). Over the A20 at Wrotham Heath, past Addington Longbarrow, then under the M20 motorway, which was very busy this morning. The difficult bit here, was the large field before Ryarsh Wood. The footpath goes through the middle; the field had been ploughed and harrowed and it was pitch black!
I set my compass for NNE and hoped for the best. It was with great relief that I came to the kissing gate on the far side of the field! I paddled through Ryarsh Wood, and arrived at Coldrum at 7am. I was the first one there. I made a cup of coffee, and ate my pumpkin soup(!) in the half light. It had clouded over a little by this time.
A man arrived at around 7:30 and we had a little chat. Very soon after him, three girls arrived with drums which they started to tap gently and with increasing intensity as the Sun rose. The cloud parted above the horizon and glowed red until just after eight, as Sól appeared. Then one girl walked around the stones banging her drum - I believe it was to scare away bad spirits. They were quite serious going about their business!
I toasted Sól with a tot of brandy, then began my return. The journey back always seems quicker - it is a well known fact that time runs slower in the dark! The cock was still crowing as I passed through! I found a sunny spot for my second break in Hurst Wood and ate some Polish Christmas Poppy seed cake, made by one of the Polish girls from work. Very tasty! I got back home at around 11:45am. A very satisfying and spiritual walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment