Sunday 2 June 2013

No map!

24th March 2013

It's been two weeks, as I was too busy for a walk after Kay's birthday bash last Sunday.
Mr Blackbird was already singing at 5.30am; the day had already started. And I left at 7am with Dee, to start our walk at Leigh for a change. There had been another sprinkling of snow and it was very cold. We parked on the Green and got ready, only to realize that I had left the map at home!
We decided to drive to Ightham Mote and do a circular walk from there, where we know our way about. We squelched our way up onto the Greensand Ridge, picked some Ransoms on the way, and went into Knole Park. I reminded Dee of the time she went for a pee in the woods, only to realize her bare bum was facing the road when a group of cyclists got an eyeful! Very funny. The snow was a little thicker up there and there was an icy blast across the park. It is always cold up there! The Parakeets were very vocal!
It was lovely to see the Fallow Deer in the snow with their thick coats and fat bellies. The fawns are due around June, I think.
This time I didn't get us lost, and we found a spot against an Oak tree under some Rhododendron for shelter away from the wind and snow and had breakfast of pea and ham soup (!) and fresh bread.
From here we made our way through Godden Green, through the fields which were orchards, but have now been ploughed for arable crops. There has been an avenue of old varieties of apple planted here, each side of the bridlepath which is lovely to see. All sorts of apple, most of which I had never heard of. In a few years, they will be ready for scrumping!
Then back to the car. Although only a 4 hour walk, the cold and mud was knackering! It must warm up soon, surely!
The Sun and Moon are on each hand
And envelope me in a warm embrace.
The celestial caress pleases me
And leaves me smiling, remembering.

No comments:

Post a Comment