Sunday 2 June 2013

Auto-pilot

14th April 2013

There were a few breaks in the cloud as I stepped out this morning. It was quite mild with a gentle South Westerly at my back. I was in auto-pilot after the drive back from Robin Hood's Bay yesterday, so my legs took me on my regular route. The Sun peeped out a couple of times, but there were light showers from time to time. The recent downpours meant that it was back to sodden ground and strength sapping slimy mud.
The view over the valley was clear as far as the horizon, the South Downs and beyond.
At Doris's bench, as soon as the sheep heard me open my pack of Hickory Smoked Nuts and Seeds, there were at my feet, lambs too, begging. They wouldn't go away! In the bottom field, the boys were have a proper scrap. All those hormones.
The river and streams and ditches were swollen and murky again.
Spring is definitely here: Wood Anemones, Celandine, Dogs Mercury with teeny tiny yellow flowers, Great carpets of Ransoms (some of which I picked for dinner), and Golden Saxifrage by the streams. But the main sign is the Chiff Chaff, chiff bloody chaffing (hand me a gun).
A few Peacock butterflies and a Comma. Did they come in on the wind?
There was no sign of Raggedy Robin. Oh dear. Maybe he was busy.
The leaves are bursting to be out. Pussy Willow all fluffy. I took off a layer at Shipbourne.
Then out of Clearhedges, there were several pairs of Skylarks singing. I took off another layer (Dee would be surprised!) - the Sun was shining!
Pumping heart, surging blood,
Faster breath, feel intense;
Rejection, frustration,
Rabid conscience and guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment