Sunday 2 June 2013

Pooped!

24th February 2013
I'm pooped!
Today, Dee wanted to do a longer walk as it is her birthday. So we chose Horsmonden, Goudhurst, Bedgebury Forest, Kilndown, then back to Goudhurst and Horsmonden.
As I drove along Mascalls Court Road, a Barn Owl joined me for a while. I picked up Dee and Maisie at 7am and parked at Sprivers, Horsmonden.
It was extremely cold, especially in the northern wind. The sky was dull and overcast and there were light flurries of snow. There was still some snow from the recent fall and the ground was solid. There were many Crocuses in flower through the woods; Daffodils are almost ready.
Leaving Sprivers (a National Trust property), we entered the hop fields opposite and fought our way through the wind to Horsmonden Church, then up the hill to Goudhurst Church. This warmed us up! The Camellia were in flower at the west door.
Along Maypole Lane Dee slipped on the ice and landed on her arse! Her bag took most of the force, so she was OK. Funny, just the same, once she was over the shock! It certainly didn't slow her down!
We sat in the snow (like VIKINGS!) and both had soup for breakfast; pea and ham for me (made yesterday) and tomato soup for Dee (from the freezer), with home-made bread. We put our hoods up to keep the wind out and were reasonably warm when we carried on (except our hands!). Then it was through the forest to the Pinetum Centre, for coffee and cakes in the cafe. Happy Birthday, I said!
We left Bedgbury along the road toward Kilndown, passing a sign on Summerhill: Free range sausages, £2.50 a pound, and any cut of meat. The pigs were in the field; wooly ones! I think I shall get some next time I go through.
At the bottom of Pump Hill, the Buzzards flew over low and calling. Dee got very excited. 'Get my bino's' she said. I pulled them from her bag and gave them to her. She took so long focusing, they had long gone! I laughed, sorry. Walking down through Finchcocks, the wind was so strong and Arctic-like, so the hoods went up!
A copse had been cut down near the old railway station, I think they were Ash trees. Not any more.
At the green Cross Inn, an American stopped and asked directions to Scotney Castle. The sat-nav had directed him to the private road. I sent him on his way and we went on ours' back to Horsmonden, past the church, the way we came. We bumped into a very tall blonde woman dressed in a black Nike cap, a short black quilted Rab jacket, very tight black Lycra leggings and black Hunter boots. She was telling us about her little puppy (matching black with long legs!) which was from a rescue home as I tried desperately to keep eye contact!
Some chocolate for energy and then back to the car. The temperature hadn't risen above zero all day and I was knackered after around 22, maybe 23 kilometres!

We have walked the soft green corridors
And the purple plains.
Stood on ancient hills looking down on
Pastels of the journeys we shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment